Big Cake Basics Class
This cake class is aimed at complete beginners to cake decorating. Perhaps you are a parent who would like to make your children’s birthday cakes rather than buying them, or you have never been quite brave enough to try a big cake rather than cupcakes……then this is the class for you. You will choose your own colour scheme, decorations and message, and go away with a gorgeous cake to show off your new found skills.
During this class you will learn how to:
- split and level your sponge cake and sandwich it together with ganache
- cover and crumbcoat your cake with ganache
- colour fondant using gel, in whichever colour scheme you choose
- cover your cake with sugarpaste, getting a smooth finish
- use plunger cutters for simple shapes such as hearts, stars, or spots
- create a message plaque, using letter cutters (message of your choice)
- use metallic paints for a simple way to embellish any cake
- fix common mistakes; and
- finish the cake off so that it looks more professional, including covering your drum and putting ribbon on it
All equipment is provided (including a delicious vanilla cake for you to decorate), and we will be happy to help with any questions at all you may have about cake decorating during the class. You will also have class notes which include a cake recipe so that you can recreate your cake at home.